Tuesday 12 August 2014

Book Review - Tiger's Curse by Colleen Houck

Tiger's Curse

(The Tiger Saga #1)

Author: Colleen Houck

Genres: Young Adult, Fantasy, Romance, Mythology

Published: May 26 2011

Pages: 498 pages (Paperback Edition) (Hodder & Stoughton)

Read: August 2014

Rating: Star


Would you risk it all to change your destiny? The last thing Kelsey Hayes thought she'd be doing this summer was trying to break a 300-year-old Indian curse. With a mysterious white tiger named Ren. Halfway around the world. But that's exactly what happened. Face-to-face with dark forces, spellbinding magic, and mystical worlds where nothing is what it seems, Kelsey risks everything to piece together an ancient prophecy that could break the curse forever.

My good streak has ended. I can tell you right now that this is not going to be a positive review. In fact, it's going to be very negative, so, if you enjoyed this book, you may not want to read further.

I tried, I really tried. But, that wasn't enough. On page 300, I decided to pack it in and give up on this book because frankly time is short and I want to spend it reading stories I enjoy, not ones I have to force myself to read.

The plot, if executed correctly, would have been amazing. There was great potential for this book. An Indian curse, a tiger, magic. There was everything to make a great story but unfortunately for me, it didn't turn out that way.

There were three main things which I disliked about this book.

First was the writing style. I just did not like Colleen Houck's writing style. It felt amateur. It lacked excitement and it continued in the same boring way. 

Second was the characters. None of them held depth and as for our protagonist. Kelsey was the most annoying protagonist I have come across so far. She did not act in any way human. She definitely didn't act the age she was supposed to be which shocked me when I found out. 
I could go on forever about this character and the rest but I'm not because that would take up the whole review.

The third main thing was the pace of this book. It was so slow. Honestly, I felt like the book was going nowhere, absolutely nowhere.

And to add to those dislikes are the conversations. Those conversations, every bit of dialogue that was in this book was dull, boring and felt completely fake. 

Finally the last thing was the amount of detail put in on completely irrelevant objects. There was a plane and the plane's descriptions took up around 3 pages, the description of a bathroom took up half a page along with the food. There was a lot of meals and every meal, just to describe what food lay out in front took half a page....that drove me over the edge. What was even worse was there was a scene that could have been filled with vivid descriptions and it wasn't. It was rushed through and this happened quite a bit, I'm afraid.

As a conclusion, I didn't enjoy or like this book at all and I will not be continuing on with the series. Of course these are just my opinions and I'm sure a lot of people have enjoyed this book and will continue to enjoy this book. Unfortunately, it just wasn't the book for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment